AMERICAN BEAUTY- The Exhibition, January 21 - Febuary 17, 2017
AMERICAN BEAUTY--The Other Inaugural Ball, January 21 from 12-5 PM
This exhibition is a collective response to the unique and challenging time in our world's history that we face together. Together we seek to build bridges, not walls. The goal of the event American Beauty is to provide opportunities for artists to collaborate on social issues, including sustainability, equity, and inclusivity. In this way, we develop nimble, flexible, forward-thinking, optimistic, and innovative solutions to today's challenges.
Our goal in this exhibition is to underscore the humanitarian values we believe in: embracing diversity, overcoming racial and ethnic exclusion in America, offering safe haven to immigrants in need, practicing tolerance and respect toward those with different sexual orientations or gender identities, supporting women's rights, and making progress on protecting the environment.
- Interactive theater workshop using first person immigrant stories with The Angle Project from NYC at 12 PM on Saturday, January 21, SPEEDWELL Projects, 630 Forest Ave.
- Open mic and poetry slam at SPEEDWELL Projects at 630 Forest Ave at 2 PM.
- Poetry reading and the recitation of Other Inaugural Poems by nationally recognized poets and writers from 3-5 PM at SPEEDWELL Projects at 630 Forest Ave.
- Exhibition by visual artists at Zero Station and SPEEDWELL Projects at 1 North Street, 630 Forest Ave all day January 21.
- Evening Arts Ball with keynote address by Fatuma Hussein of The Somali Women’s Organization at 7 PM at the Maine Mechanics Hall, 519 Congress Street.
- Performances by Hi Tiger, Sudo Girls and the Theater Ensemble of Color at 8 PM.
- Dancing with DJ’s Innox and 32French into the wee hours!
Find more information at www.weareamericanbeauty.org